Monday, May 21, 2012

The Greats Don't Get Complacent

It hit me smack in the face at the end of last week... I was faced with a fork in the road. I was in the kitchen, making my grass fed beef, I was hungry, my back was killing me, my knee hurt and it was taking me 5 minutes to get my plate of food 10 feet from the kitchen to the table.

A small voice said: "Give up. Grab some cookies, its easier, they will taste good. You won't have to worry about your body composition for the next 12 months. Give up, do what others would do...."

And then, I thought back to the years of bodybuilding, the years of sweat and tears, practicing basketball in 100 degree heat, 500 shots per day. I already taught myself how to succeed despite being miserable. I have trained my whole life for this moment in time.

I have taught myself to be a 1%er, the hours of getting up at 4 AM to go out and chase my dream every single day, the pain of losing friends, the weekends away from my wife, the injuries from a life of physicality....

I knew that in that one split moment last week, my life would change forever depending on what I decided to do. I was already in pain. I thought of the Hip Hop Preacher, "You are already in pain. Don't cry to quit. Cry to keep going. Get a reward from it..." I chose that path, it was really the only choice I had.

I received an unexpected phone call on Saturday night from a long time friend and he just started talking. He said, "Kyle, you can't let this beat you. People look up to you and if this beats you, it will beat them too. You once told me that if you say you are going to do something, do it. No if's, and's or but's. If anyone can do this, it's you."

I have never chosen the road titled 'Complacency' and I am not going to start now. I'm gonna get a reward from this experience. I also believe that by choosing certain paths, things and people will come into our lives to keep guiding us, urging us along. Just as I started writing this 1o minutes ago, Louie Simmons called me! Imagine... legend, whom I spoke with graciously last week, called to see how I was doing. Louie wants to make sure I document everything so we can use this experience to help other athletes. Signs like that remind me that I and you really do have no choice, complacency is not an option...

Kyle Newell is the creator of Newell Strength, located in central New Jersey. He specializes in making athletes bigger, faster and stronger. Kyle's methods are among the most unique in the business. He has worked with college strength programs and has competed in numerous bodybuilding shows. Kyle's men and athletes achieve unbelievable rates of success and performance on the field. You can find out more about Kyle at http://www.newellstrength.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment